After joining a Chat channel, a user can update information such as the nickname, avatar, age, and mobile phone number as needed. These are known as user attributes.
This page shows how to use the Chat SDK to implement managing user attributes.
- User attributes are stored on the Chat server. If you have security concerns, Agora recommends that you manage user attributes yourself.
- To ensure information security, app users can only modify their own user attributes. Only app admins can modify the user attributes of other users.
Understand the tech
The Chat SDK uses
UserInfoManager to retrieve, set, and modify user attributes. Followings are the core methods:
updateOwnInfo: Set or update user attributes.
updateOwnInfoByAttributes: Set or update the specified user attribute.
fetchUserInfoByUserId: Retrieve the user attributes of the specified user.
fetchUserInfoByAttributes: Retrieve the specified user attributes of the specified user.
Before proceeding, ensure that you meet the following requirements:
- You have integrated the Chat SDK, initialized the SDK and implemented the functionality of registering accounts and login. For details, see Chat SDK quickstart.
- Have a thorough understanding of the API call frequency limit, the maximum size of all the attributes of a specified user, and the maximum size of all user attributes in an app. For details, see Known limitations.
This section shows how to manage user attributes and contacts with the methods provided by the Chat SDK.
Set user attributes
Chat users can set and update their own attributes. Refer to the code example to set all the user attributes:
The following sample code uses avatar as an example to show how to set the specified user attribute:
Retrieve user attributes
You can use
fetchUserInfoByUserId to retrieve the user attributes of the specified users. For each method call, you can retrieve the user attributes of a maximum of 100 users.
Refer to the following code example:
This section introduces extra functions you can implement in your app using user attributes and contact management.
Manage user avatar
The Chat SDK only supports storing the URL address of the avatar file rather than the file itself. To manage user avatars, you need to use a third-party file storage service.
To implement user avatar management in your app, take the following steps:
- Upload the avatar file to the third-party file storage service. Once the file is successfully uploaded, you get a URL address of the avatar file.
- Set the
avatarUrlparameter in user attributes as the URL address of the avatar file.
- To display the avatar, call
fetchUserInfoByUserIdto retrieve the URL of the avatar file, and then render the image on the local UI.
Create and send a namecard using user attributes
Namecard messages are custom messages that include the user ID, nickname, avatar, email address, and phone number of the specified user. To create and send a namecard, take the following steps:
- Create a custom message and set the
eventof the custom message as
getAvatarUrlas fileds in
params. Send the custom message.
Followings are the sample code for creating and sending a namecard message: